How to Unclog a Grease Clogged Drain
Dealing with a stubbornly clogged drain is a common headache for homeowners, and when that clog is caused by a buildup of grease, it can be particularly frustrating. Grease, over time, solidifies within our drains, creating a gooey obstacle that hinders the flow of water and leads to unpleasant backups.
South West Plumbing will show you a step-by-step how to tackle this greasy menace and unclog your drain effectively. Say goodbye to slow drains and costly plumbing bills, and hello to free-flowing water once more.
How Does Grease Clog a Drain?
Grease clogs drains when it solidifies and accumulates within the plumbing system. This process occurs as follows:
- Liquid Grease: When you cook, the grease, oil, or fat from your food starts off in a liquid form. These substances are often hot when poured down the drain, which allows them to flow easily.
- Cooling and Solidification: As the hot grease, oil, or fat travels down the drain, it begins to cool and lose its heat. When it cools, it solidifies and transforms into a semi-solid or solid substance.
- Sticky Residue: This solidified grease adheres to the inner walls of the pipes. It acts like a sticky substance that traps food particles, soap scum, and other debris passing through the drain.
- Accumulation: Over time, more grease is poured down the drain, and this sticky layer of solidified grease continues to accumulate. It thickens, constricting the diameter of the pipe and reducing the flow capacity.
- Blockage Formation: As more and more grease accumulates, it can eventually lead to a partial or complete blockage within the plumbing system. This restricts the flow of water, causing slow drainage or even backups.
The combination of grease solidification and the trapping of other debris in the sticky residue forms a formidable clog. This clog can obstruct water and waste from flowing freely through the pipes, ultimately leading to drainage problems and the need for drain cleaning or unclogging measures.
How to Clean a Drain Clogged with Grease
Cleaning a drain clogged with grease can be a bit of a challenge, but with the right approach and some basic tools, you can effectively clear the blockage. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean a grease-clogged drain:
Step 1: Boiling Water
Start by pouring a large pot of boiling water down the drain. This can help melt and soften the grease, making it easier to remove.
Step 2: Baking Soda and Vinegar
Next, pour about 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain, followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar. The chemical reaction between the two will create a foaming action that can help break down the grease. Let this mixture sit in the drain for about 30 minutes.
Step 3: Boiling Water Again
After 30 minutes, pour another pot of boiling water down the drain. This should help flush away the dissolved grease and residue.
Step 4: Salt and Hot Water
Mix 1/2 cup of salt with boiling water and pour it down the drain. The salt can help further break down the grease.
Step 5: Plunge It
If the clog persists, use a plunger to create a seal over the drain and pump it up and down vigorously. This can help dislodge the clog. Be sure to use a plunger specifically designed for sinks, as it may have a flat bottom to create a better seal.
Step 6: Final Flushing
Finally, pour one more pot of boiling water down the drain to flush away any remaining debris. If the water drains smoothly, your job is done.
How to Prevent Future Grease Clogs
To prevent future grease clogs, avoid pouring grease, oil, and fat down the drain. Instead, collect them in a container and dispose of them in the trash. Regularly cleaning your drain with baking soda and vinegar can also help prevent grease buildup.
Remember that if you’re uncomfortable or unsuccessful in clearing a stubborn grease clog, it’s best to consult a professional plumber to avoid any potential damage to your plumbing system.
Drain Cleaning Services in Greater Seattle
In the Greater Seattle area, South West Plumbing is your trusted partner for all your drain cleaning needs. Our experienced team is dedicated to keeping your plumbing running smoothly, providing fast and effective solutions for stubborn clogs. Don’t let grease or other blockages disrupt your daily life. Contact South West Plumbing today, and experience the relief of a clear and free-flowing plumbing system.